Thursday, October 3, 2013

3D Printing - Doodle3D

What is 3D printing you ask?  The quick version is taking a 3D printer (buy or build), hooking up a computer, and through software telling the 3D printer what, where, when, why to do with the plastic filament (or whatever material it uses) to create a 3D object, layer by layer.  It really is an interesting process, see photos below.

nozzle where filament comes out
building up layer by layer

almost done creating 3D object
final object

dolphin jumping out of water 
My husband is the one that is really into 3D printing he has three printers, I like it as well, the potential to create is whatever you imagine and design. My problem is I have a love hate relationship with Sketchupa software to design objects, I love to hate it because of its little quirks.  I tried a 3D sculpting program called Sculptris, it works greatmy dolphin turned out,Kickstarter, called Doodle3D.  It was exactly what I was looking for, you draw, it prints...perfect.  So I backed the project.
but it was a one hit wonder.  I want something easier, something I could draw and print, not sculpt from a ball.  One day I came across a project on

bracelet
After several updates, I got the email I have been waiting for, I shall receive the final product at the end of the month.  I cannot wait for this little box to come, I have so many ideas brewing in my head, but no toy to play with. Once I receive my box of wonder I will post my creations, stay tuned and let me know your interest in 3D printing.

   
stands

No comments:

Post a Comment